Monday, July 12, 2010

Picture Frame Makeover into Mirror


Picture Frame Makeover into Mirror


This project is one I did a while back for my nieces birthday. I have been wanting to blog about it for awhile now but have just been on the busy side getting my Etsy shop up and running. I have made 2 sales so far! And it feels great!

For my project I took an old picture frame I had laying around from my husband's grandmothers house. The frame always bugged me since I am NOT a gold fan. But I loved the details in the wood so I kept it knowing that someday I'd figure out what to do with it.
I knew that I wanted to make a mirror as a gift and I was orginally going to build my own frame but I walked past this frame in my craft room and had an awh ha moment! Here's a picture of what the frame look like originally.
 The first thing I did was take the painting out of the frame. The painting doesn't bug me at all. I think it is pretty. It just needs a new home/frame now. But that is a future project.
 
For the mirror part I had some of this airline grade mirror scrap that the hubby had brought home from work (another thing that has been laying around waiting for me to come up with a project for). It is really cool stuff too. It isn't glass so it won't break. Perfect for an energetic niece too.
 I took the original painting and traced its size onto the back of my mirror scrap
And then cut it out with my jigsaw. It cut pretty easy too! I was sort of worried about how I was going to do it.
I then went back to work on the frame. I first painted it with some leftover house paint we had lying around. I didn't bother covering the black velvet stripe since I knew I'd be covering that later. And then I got some plain old craft paint and mixed up a dark turquoise color that I liked and painted the inner molding piece of the frame.
I let that dry and then with the left over turquoise paint, I added water to turn it into a glaze. I used that to brush onto the white making sure to get into all the groves of the fancy molding and then quickly wiped it back off with paper towel. Sorry I didn't take pictures of this step.
I was loving the effect! I then took some Light blue/teal grosgrain ribbon I had in my stash (I think I got it at the dollar store). I hot glued it over the black velvet and then added another skinny burgundy ribbon top of that. It still needed a little something so I added the bows on the corners. And TA DAH!
Isn't it pretty! I almost didn't want to give it away I liked it so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment